- Center of Excellence
- Design and Code Reviews
Design and Code Reviews
by Brian Powell | athenahealth
Understanding Effort and Impact
Incorporating design and code reviews into your process is a very high return on your investment. There are no tricky tools or technologies to learn and master. Your team will learn basic guidelines, customize existing coding style guides, learn VI Analyzer, and then determine how you will integrate code reviews into your existing workflow. There is no “one way” to execute code reviews. You and your team will determine what works best with the most significant impact on code quality
There are several lessons that you can read and you can download slides, when they are available, for presentation and discussion at user groups. Also, explore the links on the resources tab. Here is the learning checklist for you and members of your team.
- The basics of code reviews and good principals for conducting code reviews
- VI Analyzer
- (Optional) Custom VI Analyzer Tests
- Issue Tracking Tools
- Other topics: Bookmarks in LabVIEW and other items listed in the resources tab
Being the first person in your group to show code for a code review can be a very humbling experience. You and your team may consider holding a few “practice” code review sessions. Explore different ideas and ways to document issues.
You and your team will need to align on how you want to proceed and commit to consistent execution. Here are some of the questions that you all will need to address:
- When in the process is the code review executed?
- How will you integrate VI Analyzer?
- How will you document your style guidelines and what customizations will you add?
- How many peers will participate in the review?
- How will issues be tracked?
- How will resolutions be checked and signed-off on?
- What tools will be used and what is the cost?
- Is the group in agreement or does management need to help encourage team buy-in?
- How will your team measure success?
Included Learning set Modules
SESSION: OVERVIEW OF PROCESS, STYLE GUIDES, AND AN INTRO TO CODE REVIEWS
SESSION PDF: CODE REVIEW PROCESS
SESSION: LEARNING VI ANALYZER
TOOL: BASIC ISSUE TRACKING EXCEL DOCUMENT
WIKIPEDIA - COMPARISON OF ISSUE TRACKING TOOLS
NI FORUMS: USING BOOKMARKS IN LABVIEW
These modules have related concepts that can expand student experience.